Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /opt/mediawiki/includes/profiler/SectionProfiler.php on line 99

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /opt/mediawiki/includes/profiler/SectionProfiler.php on line 99

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /opt/mediawiki/includes/profiler/SectionProfiler.php on line 100

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /opt/mediawiki/includes/profiler/SectionProfiler.php on line 100

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /opt/mediawiki/includes/profiler/SectionProfiler.php on line 101

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /opt/mediawiki/includes/profiler/SectionProfiler.php on line 101



1. What are IAE’s plans for an “all inclusive” portal which will allow the contracting officer to access all necessary systems without having to go in and out of their primary work environment?
IAE is not developing a “portal.” Under the new IAE acquisition strategy, using Services Oriented Architecture (SOA) to include web services, IAE will allow contracting officers the ability to access the IAE services without going in and out of their primary work environment when implemented by the agency's contract writing system.
2. What applications are offered under the “IAE umbrella”?
Links are provided to all systems at, click on “Acquisition Systems.” For more information on the IAE systems, go to the FAQs located on each system’s individual website.
3. How do I add or change an Agency Registration Official (ARO)?
The ARO is responsible for managing the FedReg registration of agency buying and selling organizations engaged in federal intragovernmental transactions. Agencies can find their ARO on the following FedReg site: To add or change an ARO, agencies need to contact the IAE Program Management Office to approve the change.

You need to identify the reason for the change as well as the following information for the new ARO:

  • Full name
  • Full address
  • Email address
  • Agency name
  • Office
  • Phone number
  • Fax number
  • Reason for request
4. How do I do business with the federal government?
All potential vendors must be registered in the Central Contractor Registration system (, and must provide representations and certifications via the Online Representations and Certifications Application ( (if applicable). They can then bid on opportunities found at FedBizOpps ( The federal government has several resources to help you do business with us. SBA offers assistance with selling goods and services to the government. SBA also sponsors the Small Business Development Centers and DoD sponsors the Procurement Technical Assistance Centers.

To find the offices closest to you, visit one of the following websites:

5. How do I register my commercial business for federal government work?
Go to the CCR website at and click on “Start New Registration.”
6. How do I find government opportunities to bid on?
Go to the FedBizOpps website ( and click on “Find Opportunities.” For more information on small business opportunities, visit the Federal OSDBU Director Interagency Council (
7. What is a Cage Code?
The Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code is a five character ID number used extensively within DoD and NASA and is assigned to vendors automatically as they go through the CCR registration process.
8. How do I find a CAGE Code?
The Defense Logistics Information Service (DLIS), who administers the Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code system, has placed a CAGE code search feature on the internet at
9. How do I obtain a CAGE Code?
CCR is the authorized source for the assignment of CAGE Codes.CAGE Codes will be assigned automatically to vendors as their CCR registration goes through the validation process or you can call for assistance at 1-888-227-2423.
10. How do I find the current NAICS Codes?
The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is the standard used by federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy. NAICS was developed under the auspices of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and adopted in 1997 to replace the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) system. The NAICS manual can be found at The official NAICS website is
11. What is the difference between NAICS and PSC? Why does FPDS have both?
The North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) classifies commercial activity into broad service categories, e.g., farming, manufacturer, wholesaler, retail, services. Contracts, on the other hand, generally purchase specific goods (such as cameras or telephones) and services. Therefore, FPDS has a second set of codes called Products and Services Codes (PSCs). While still rather general, the PSCs are more specific than NAICS.
12. How do I change my NAICS Code?
After you access your CCR registration, you can proceed to the NAICS page and change your NAICS code.
13. What is a MPIN?
A Marketing Partner ID is a personal code that allows a CCR registrant to access other government applications such as and IAE systems such as PPIRS, FBO, and ORCA.
14. How do I register in ORCA?
A vendor with an active CCR record can create their ORCA record at Government contracting officials can access ORCA and review the vendor’s information online as part of the proposal evaluation process.
15. How do I get a copy of a contract?
A copy of a contract can be obtained from the contracting office that awarded the contract. You must reference the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to obtain contract documents.
16. What is the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?
The 1966 Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) permits any person to request access to federal agency records or information. Federal agencies are required to disclose records upon receipt of a written request, except for records that are protected from disclosure by nine exemptions or three exclusions in the Act. Each federal agency is responsible for meetings its FOIA responsibilities for its own records.
17. How do I search for an RFQ or Solicitation?
Go to the Search page on the FBO website at
18. How do I obtain a D-U-N-S Number?
A DUNS number is a unique 9-digit identifier issued and maintained by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) that verifies the existence of a business entity globally. D&B assigns DUNS numbers for each physical location of a business. All government contractors globally can receive a DUNS number at no charge and, under normal circumstances, within 24-72 hours when using the D&B web form process ( or by calling D&B at 866-785-0428.
19. How do I obtain a TPIN?
The Trading Partner Identification Number (TPIN) is no longer used to sign into CCR. New users will create a user ID and password. All existing users with a TPIN will have to convert to a user ID and password by December 21, 2009. After that date, there will no longer be an opportunity for a user to access CCR with a TPIN.

To create a user ID and password:

  • Go to and click "Update or Renew Registration."
  • Select the appropriate entity then click on "Continue."
  • Enter your DUNS Number and TPIN.
  • You will then be prompted to create a user ID and password to replace your TPIN.
20. How do I get information on grants?
Go to the online Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance ( to obtain information on Federal Domestic Assistance and to view active grants including Recovery Act grants, or go to ( to view and apply for grant opportunities.
21. What is a Small Business?
The Small Business Administration (SBA) defines a small business as a concern that is organized for profit; has a place of business in the United States (U.S.); operates primarily within the U.S. or makes a significant contribution to the U.S. economy through payment of taxes or use of American products, materials or labor; is independently owned and operated; and is not dominant in its field on a national basis. The business may be a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or any other legal form. In determining what constitutes a small business, the definition will vary to reflect industry differences. For more information on small business size standards go to
22. What help is available for small businesses?
The SBA offers assistance in planning, starting, financing, and managing your business, as well as business opportunities with the federal government, including financial assistance. You can also click on “Economic Recovery” on the SBA website at
23. What is the Small Business Size Standard?
SBA has established numerical definitions, called “size standards” for every private section industry in the U.S. economy. A size standard, which is usually stated in number of employees or average annual receipts, represents the largest size that a business (including its subsidiaries and affiliates) may be to remain classified as a small business for SBA and federal contracting programs. All federal agencies must use SBA size standards for contracts identified as small business.
24. What is the 8(a) Business Development (BD) Program?
The SBA’s 8(a) BD Program, named for a section of the Small Business Act, is a business development program created to help small disadvantaged businesses compete in the American economy and access the federal procurement market.
25. How do I apply to the 8(a) BD Program?
Contact the local SBA district office serving your area. An SBA representative can answer general questions over the telephone. Some district offices may also have 8(a) orientation workshops to provide additional information regarding the eligibility requirements and to review various SBA forms.
26. What are the basic requirements an 8(a) applicant firm must meet?
The applicant firm:
  • Must be a small business;
  • Must be unconditionally owned and controlled by one or more socially and economically disadvantaged individuals who are of good character and citizens of the U.S.; and
  • Must demonstrate potential for success.
27. What is a Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB)?
To be considered an SDB, owners of business concerns must be socially and economically disadvantaged.
28. Who are socially disadvantaged individuals?
Socially disadvantaged individuals are those who have been subjected to racial or ethnic prejudice or cultural bias because of their identity as members of a group. Social disadvantage must stem from circumstances beyond their control. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, individuals who are members of the following designated groups are presumed to be socially disadvantaged:
  • Black Americans
  • Hispanic Americans
  • Native Americans (American Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, and Native Hawaiians)
  • Asian Pacific Americans (persons with origins from Japan, China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Korea, Samoa, Guam, U.S. Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands [Republic of Palau], Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Laos, Cambodia [Kampuchea], Taiwan; Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Macao, Hong Kong, Fiji, Tonga, Kiribati, Tuvalu, or Nauru; Subcontinent Asian Americans (persons with origins from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, the Maldives Islands or Nepal), and
  • Members of other groups designated by the SBA.
29. What does it mean to be economically disadvantaged?
Economically disadvantaged individuals are socially disadvantaged individuals whose ability to compete in the free enterprise system has been impaired due to diminished capital and credit opportunities.
30. What is a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business?
A small business concern that is at least 51% unconditionally and directly owned by one or more service-disabled veterans may represent itself as a Service-Disable Veteran-Owned Small Business Concern in the Central Contractor Registration ( To participate in the federal marketplace, the veteran must have a service-connected disability that has been determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs or his or her respective military branch of service. For more information, go to
31. What is a Small Business Set-Aside?
FAR 19.501 describes procedures for Small Business Set-Asides. A “set-aside for small business” is the reserving of an acquisition exclusively for participation by small business concerns. A small business set-aside may be open to all small businesses. A small business set-aside of a single acquisition or a class of acquisitions may be total or partial.
32. What is the HUBZone Empowerment Contracting Program?
The HUBZone Empowerment Contracting Program, which is included in the Small Business Reauthorization Act of 1997, stimulates economic development and creates jobs in urban and rural communities by providing contracting preferences to small businesses that are located in a HUBZone and that hire employees who live in a HUBZone. SBA certifies concerns for eligibility to receive HUBZone contracts and maintains a listing of qualified HUBZone small businesses federal agencies can use to locate prospective vendors.
33. What is the Small Business Goaling Report?
The policy of the United States, as stated in the Small Business Act 15(g)(1), is that each agency shall have an annual goal that represents, for that agency, the maximum practicable opportunity for small business concerns, small business concerns owned and controlled by service disabled veterans, qualified HUBZone small business concerns, small business concerns owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals, and small business concerns owned and controlled by women to participate in the performance of contracts led by that agency. Each year SBA works with agencies to set these goals. SBA then submits an annual Small Business Goaling Report with achievements against the goals to Congress, based on data generated by the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS). The official Small Business Goaling Report is published on the SBA website, There is also a link to this report at the website under “Reports."
  • The FAQs on small businesses are reprinted from the SBA website,, as a convenience to our users. For more information on small business issues, go to
  • For more FAQs on the IAE systems, please refer to the individual system websites.